Who we are:
As one of Unitech’s Site Safety Officers you will be a resourceful, intelligent, confident and dedicated professional who is committed to building our clients trust through clarity and integrity. You will be a fair, fun and firm team player who will be responsible for protecting the Health and Safety of all workers on your designated construction site.
- Protect the Health & Safety of all workers onsite
- Provide First Aid as necessary
- Identifying Safety Objectives & Requirements
- Coordinating the Site Safety Program
- Running Weekly Toolbox Meetings
- Participating In Monthly Safety Meetings
- Perform Accident & Incident Investigations
- Inspect the Workplace & Identify Safety Deficiencies
- Advise the Site Superintendent of Corrective Actions Identified
- Monitor WHIMIS and keep MSDS up to date
- Represent Unitech during WCB Inspections
- Complete and send all required documentation to Head Office
- Set a good example onsite
The Safety Professional or Construction Safety Officer shall be responsible for the coordination and communication of the safety program and safety initiatives between employees, supervision, and management. The Safety Professional will act as the conduit for information and material flowing from the top down and from the bottom up. They will be actively involved in all aspects of the safety function for the company. Their responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Communicate with Management, Supervisors, and Employees to identify safety objectives and requirements.
- Establish schedules for inspections and monitoring, safety meetings, and the review of safety performance.
- Participate in accident and incident investigations to ensure objectivity and thoroughness.
- Monitor and follow-up corrective action recommendations resulting from inspections, investigations, and safety committee reports.
- Inspect the workplace for safety deficiencies on an ongoing basis. Notify the Superintendent and/or the appropriate person of any deficiencies and provide guidance for corrective action.
- Develop safety topics relevant to the workplace for inclusion in toolbox talks and safety meetings. Review building schedule and inform workers in the meetings of upcoming trades and equipment arriving on site.
- Monitor the WHMIS procedures and ensure employees are informed and MSDS are current.
- Collate and review all safety records and statistics and effectively communicate trends or significant deviations from the norm, to management, supervisors, and the safety committee for corrective action.
- Review, on a continuous basis, the performance of the safety program and make recommendations on changes and improvements, should they be required.
- Coordinate site safety programs with the Superintendent, Supervisors, and Sub-contractors, ensuring all the company standards are met.
- Represent the company during site inspections by the WCB and other regulatory agencies.
- Conform to the Health and Safety Program and set a good example.
As the safety portion of this work is not full time you will be assisting doing “on the tools” work on the construction site including site housekeeping, moving materials, framing and other tasks depending on experience and capabilities.
- Minimum Certified Level 2 First Aid Attendant
- A strong understanding of safety code rules and regulations
- A technical understanding of the construction industry preferred
- Effective communication and writing skills
- Certificate in traffic control (Flagging) an asset
- Previous first aid experience in the construction industry an asset
- Ability to work efficiently with a service-oriented attitude, courtesy, tact and diplomacy under stressful situations with constant interruption.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to effectively manage time, responsibilities and priorities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age.